Monday, March 28, 2011

The Girl on Base: Girls watch baseball..and they like it too!

By Brheanna Berry

Hey, all you baseball fans. I’m Brheanna Berry. Yes, Brheanna as in a girl, who just happens to eat, breath and sleep baseball as much as the next guy. I am currently a student at James Madison University, majoring in the School of Media Arts and Design with a minor in sports communication.
 It’s almost here! Time to either start earning some money or losing it on your MLB fantasy teams. The season officially starts this Thursday March 31, 2011, kicking off with the Brewers at the Reds, the Angels at the Royals, the Braves at the Nationals, the Tigers at the Yankees, and the Padres at the Cardinals.
 As any good fan, like the teams, you are fed up with spring training life in Arizona and Florida. You’re ready to crack open your bag of peanuts or sunflower seeds. Sit back in your best jersey and prepare to defend your team to its death beside your buddies. Well I as well have been long anticipating the arrival of this glorious season.
No, I don’t pick my team by the color of their uniforms, the cutest pitcher (although my team does have the best looking shortstop in the game, but that was just pure luck) and I certainly don’t find my affection leaning towards who has the cutest mascot.
Yes I am professing to all you sports fans that girls do watch and like baseball.
It’s true!
As any good writer would say talk about what you know. Now I’m no English major, but as a simple blogger, I’ll do my best to adhere to that advice. No one has to ask me twice to rant and rave about my boys in black and purple!
The Colorado Rockies are a young team. But don’t let that fool you. They are, and have always been very strong offensively and super energetic throughout the entire game. We have a strong lineup and a bull pen that needs to be recognized quickly if the rest of the National League wants to compete. After a close spring training win over the Arizona Diamondbacks, the team is looking much more relaxed and confident then last season.
 As long as 23 year old right handed pitcher Jhoulys Chacin continues to perfect his fastball, Dexter Fowler continues to steal bases, and the Tulo-Cargo combo continues to be, well, just awesome then this young team is sure to leave its fans pleased.
So thank the gods who decided to start the season early, re-arrange your life according to your teams schedule and make your own dinner, because the ladies are busy watching the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment